Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A word about my recent research


I am currently writing my philosophy thesis on Kant's statement "ought implies can". Basically, I don't agree. As a matter of fact, I think that it is precisely the problem of the human condition that we are held responsible for that which we cannot perform. More accurately, you and I are unable to do that which we ought. In my research I have been directed to the works of a contemporary of Kant's named Johann Hamann. He was, like Kant, a member of the rationalist school that was very prevalent in Europe at the time but he underwent a religious conversion and realised that all was not well with the Enlightenment program. Among other things, he found that the Enlighteners, rather than freed from oppressive bondage, were bound by their obsession with human reason. In The Socratic Memorabilia, Hamann recalls the Delphic Oracle's pronouncement that Socrates was the wisest of men because he understood his own ignorance. This understanding was completely missing from the Enlightenment according to Hamann. The result has been an unnecessary split between subject and object which can be alleviated only by the exaltation of that which is lowly to that which is loved and greatly admired.
Also, I recommend a book by Morris Berman called The Reenchantment of the World which outlines the decay of the "participatory consciousness" that has plagued our world since Descartes.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is inscribed in stone on the European Studies center at Harvard. Shall I send you a photo to make the frontispiece of your dissertation? :-)

March 11, 2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger Joshua Corrigan said...

I would be honored Mr. Dean.

March 11, 2006 4:17 PM  
Blogger Joshua Corrigan said...

my email address is joshuacorrigan@gmail.com

March 11, 2006 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home